31 May 2011

Schweiz!

Here are some pictures of various exciting Swiss things, starting with our new flat.

The front of our building, as seen from the road. The door you can see under the little overhang is the door leading to our flat, which starts on the second floor... if that makes sense. We share the building with our landlords and four other tenants (there are five flats total).   





Part of our backyard.

The back of our building.

A lovely creek runs through our neighborhood.

This is our nearby castle, Hegi Schloss. 'Hegi' is the name of our neighborhood.

A short walk from our flat brings you to the edge of town.


Recently I went to visit Didier's sister, Sophie, in Thun, a town near where she lives, and we spent the day walking around and exploring.

On the way to the castle which overlooks the town.

First glimpse of the castle.

The view from the castle.

I always have to take tilted pictures to get the tops of tall buildings in the frame.

Sophie.



A huge lake feeds into a river that runs through town.

On our way to the lakeside we saw this: the California state flag.








A few weeks ago I spent the afternoon in Zurich, enjoying every bit of old building that I saw.


An old building.





I couldn't resist.











The older buildings here have a lot of character. Have I mentioned that I love living around all this historical stuff? 

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous!!! Wunderbar!! Sehr Gut!! And.....naturally, being raised on N.Drew, you explored and found the reason for the California flag, right? RIGHT???? My curiosity is driving me nuts!! MUST FIND OUT!!!

    You are living one, big, fairy tale. Now all you need is a St. Bernard and a gaggle of offspring and you can wander around singing, "The hills are alive, with the sound of----" and so forth. Love you--can't wait to see all you guys! P.S. I don't like being anonymous, but can't figure out how to sign as anything else. Phooey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buttresses! That is such a fun word, mainly because it has butt in it. The more pictures you post the more I'm convinced I have to get my buttress over to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not be jealous, I will not be jealous, I will not be jealous, I will not be jealous.... ;) We MUST see lots and lots of historical things when we are there, k? Love the pictures, keep 'em up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naturally... you can't really go anywhere here without seeing something historical. We'll do our best to introduce you to lots of old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though the California State Flag pic was pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too. Random, and cool.
    -- Misha

    ReplyDelete