Munich is a great city to discover on foot. After fortifying ourselves with dessert (and coffee), we headed back out among the beautiful old buildings.
 |
| Theatinerkirche |
 |
| Walking through the garden behind the royal residence. |
 |
| The 1615 Diana pavilion in the middle of the garden. I have no idea. |
 |
| Inside the pavilion. I love mosaic floors! |
 |
| One of the two towers of Frauenkirche. |
 |
| Part of the city hall. |
 |
| The Viktualienmarkt. Earlier in the day the stalls in this open-air market were full of bread, cheese, vegetables, sausages and cured meats, flowers, honey, fresh-squeezed fruit juices and more. We wandered around sampling mustards and bread dips, and bought a small bottle of honey wine. |
 |
| "Erstmals Genannt" means "first mentioned". The first reference to this tower was in 1337! What were my ancestors doing in 1337, I wonder? What were yours doing, for that matter? |
 |
| It started getting chilly towards evening, so we stopped in to a random home store for a bit to warm up. On one of the shelves we found this. |
 |
| On a nearby shelf we found this. It was an interesting store - in the Minnesotan sense. |
 |
| Day three! After that interesting home store we needed to experience some higher culture, so the next day we went to the art museum. |
 |
| It's a great place. |
 |
| One of Albrecht Dürer's portraits. I'm quite partial to Dürer. |
 |
| Emily and I both liked this painting. |
 |
| Who wants to look at modern art when there is old art like THIS? |
 |
| The Last Judgment by Peter Paul Rubens. |
 |
| The Deposition from the Cross by Rembrandt, one of my favorite artists. |
 |
| Rembrandt's famous The Sacrifice of Isaac. |
 |
| After the museum it was time for lunch, and I took a couple of photos as we walked to the restaurant. |
 |
| Rob and Jordan - brother and sister-in-law of a good friend in MN - are living in Munich at the moment, so we arranged to meet them for lunch and had a great time getting to know them. On the right is our friend Karin. |
 |
| "Um, let's try that again facing the sun..." |
 |
| Back in Karin's apartment after lunch, we remembered the honey wine and decided to split it up so we could all have a taste. It was pretty good. (Not pictured: Karin's roommate. She was really nice.) |
And then, suddenly, it was time to go! I grabbed my stuff and headed out to catch my train. Em left a few hours later to go back to France, and our marvelous weekend came to a close.
Didier was right - going to Munich was a good idea.
Voondurbhar!!! We enjoyed this little tour tremendously! (Laura & I are fussing over the Wunderbar thing....and laughing!)
ReplyDeleteWe love you, and can't WAIT to see Morocco! Love, Madre
Thanks for posting, Mish! I love seeing some of what you see! I would love to visit that art museum. Perhaps we should plan a trip to Munich next time I come to visit!! I miss you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks! 17 days!
ReplyDeleteI love exclamation points!!!
ReplyDeleteIf they've got an art museum, I need to go there!
ReplyDeleteYes, on foot. Heart rate rises more when driving a small VW stick shift van.
ReplyDelete